August 12, 2013









 It's a big week in the life of our little family of two. L turns 5 on Thursday..F I V E! WHA?  AND...the very same day starts Kindergarten!!! I don't know about you but I think that's kinda cruel for mama's...especially mama's of only one little! Today...Monday...I feel calm and collected and okay with everything. We have "Back to School" night tonight where we meet her teacher, see her classroom, etc. I have no idea how the week will progress emotionally. L spent the last 10 days with Grammy and Papa and came home last night feeling very emotional. She cried about a lot of silly things and could not go to sleep.  I'm going to chalk that up to "transition". I think...kids just know when things are changing.  It's normal but not easy.

Actually, I'm excited about the changes that I'm trying to incorporate into our lives and excited to "get started."  One of the biggest changes HAS to come from me.  You see...well...um...I have a problem.  I am a lazy slob! I've always had "issues" with keeping things neat and clean but in the last 3 years it has escalated to a ridiculous place. I am ashamed to admit that my house is so embarrassing NO ONE and I mean NO ONE would get in without a notice and a notice that was probably at least a week or 2 out...if not more.  It thwarts every area of my life and my child.  She is 5 and it's on like donkey kong! When your child, driving along in the car randomly says, "mommy....our house is not pleasing to God" it's BAD! She said that about 2 weeks ago and it has rung in my ears ever since.  So...I sent her to Grammy's and made a plan to get started on the long overdue task of cleaning and decluttering.

She left on Thursday and was not going to be home for 10+ days. WOOT! Time to clean and organize without the distractions.  So...Friday came, Saturday, Sunday...Monday, er...Tuesday, Wednesday..uh..Thursday, Friday...yep...and Saturday arrived. The DAY BEFORE I was to go pick her up.  I had done NOTHING! NOTHING! I got up Saturday, watched about 3 episodes of Downton Abbey, Series 1 again..for the third time and kept telling myself. "I have to get up an get busy."  My ever enduring sis in law was headed over later that day to help reorganize and clean L's room for part of her birthday present.  I finally got up and started about 12:30.  I made some headway and we did get her room finished and was so pleased with it.  I continued the next day, because I was on a roll. I made A LOT of headway. It is now Monday and I still have a lot of work to get done.

I'm writing this mainly for myself. I know I really have no audience at this point, so it's easier to make all these embarrassing admissions to cyberspace.  So this will become a place of admissions and working it out.  I need accountability, if only to myself.

I am realizing that small steps are necessary in developing the habit of keeping my house and life decluttered.  It will be hard to start slow but I'm determined to do it this way because my past efforts have always failed in sticking to it.

I still have some areas that need lots of work ie. the craft closet, my bedroom, the garage, but I am starting small so as to not set myself for failure.  Today I will continue cleaning, bathrooms, floors, laundry.

Non negotiable task this week. Cleaning the kitchen every day.  This is SUCH a huge thing for me. I'm so embarrassed to admit it. I used to tell people that I was  "clean" person...just messy.  That has become a lie. I do NOT keep a clean kitchen.  And what is so messed up is if I go to someone's house whose kitchen is filthy, I get so grossed out.  ME=hypocrite!

Today I have:

unloaded the dishwasher

Cleaned the kitchen

YAY!!!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers